Spicy Rub for Chicken recipe
- Meat and poultry
- Popular chicken
- Easy chicken
- Quick chicken
This is a terrific rub for chicken just before it's cooked onto the barbecue. It adds flavour, seals in the juices and gives the finished chicken a lot of colour.
695 people made this
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast fillets
MethodPrep:15min ›Cook:15min ›Ready in:30min
- In a medium bowl, combine all spices and mix thoroughly.
- Preheat barbecue for medium high heat. Rub about 3 tablespoons of the seasoning onto both sides of the chicken breasts, and reserve the remaining seasoning in an air-tight container for later use.
- Lightly oil barbecue cooking grate. Cook chicken for 6 to 8 minutes on each side, until juices run clear.
Check out our BBQ how-to guides and videos for easy tips on how to BBQ to perfection!
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(670)
Reviews in English (458)
Something else.I haven't cooked this, so didn't know where to put this comment.....This is just an observation, but this recipe has an alarming amount of salt in it!! It's over 30% of daily recommended allowance for an adult..........-23 Nov 2009
Altered ingredient amounts.This was an excellent rub. I've made it twice already and the entire family loves it. I did reduce the cayenne pepper to half what the recipe called for since I personally don't like things too spicy. Hubby does like hot stuff though, so I may try it again exactly as the recipe calls for.-24 Jul 2008
Loved it but the Mrs found it abit spicywill be making again!!-08 Jun 2009
When I was asked if I would be interested in writing an article here on ILoveGrillingMeat.com I jumped at the chance. This opportunity allows me to combine two of my favorite things, writing and BBQ.
Then I was faced with a question. What do I write about? I was thinking about this while at work one night and it hit me. I will share a basic homemade sweet and spicy dry rub recipe for chicken and how you can customize to your own personal taste using a bit of creative thinking.
Even though I had big plans for what I was going to use this rub for, I wanted to keep it simple to start so that anyone that had basic spices on hand in their kitchen would be able to create this dry rub from scratch.
Starting with the heat I decided that I would use cayenne pepper and for the sweet I settled on brown sugar. I added salt and pepper to the list for a base and to bring the flavors together. I needed some kind of chili powder and for a bit of color I used paprika. Finally, I added granulated onion, garlic, and mustard to taste and this is the basic sweet and spicy dry rub recipe that I came up with:
1. Barbecue Chicken Dry Rub
This is a classic recipe that is incredibly easy to make.
As with many dry rubs, you will likely have all the ingredients sitting in your pantry already.
The beauty of dry rubs is you can usually make some extra and keep it in a jar, ready to grab when the need to grill overtakes you.
Click here for the recipe, and then head to your cupboard and see what you have on hand.
The BEST Sweet, Spicy and Smokey BBQ Rub Recipe
- ½ teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Onion Powder
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Salt
- ½ teaspoon Chili Powder
- ½ teaspoon Ground Mustard
- &frac18 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Brown Sugar
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl.
- Use a fork to gently break up any clumps from the brown sugar.
- Store in an air-tight container until ready to use.
- Sprinkle on meat, pat in, and grill or BBQ.
This is perhaps one of the best ways to add a ton of smokey, sweet flavor to your meat without a ton of money or time.
Paleo Beef and Cabbage Bowl Recipe – Easy Weeknight Dinner
Jalapeño Corn Bacon Salsa Recipe – Party Appetizer
Easy Chicken Teriyaki Bowl Recipe
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 4 teaspoons packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- ¾ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 4- to 4 1/2-pound chicken
To prepare rub: Combine chili powder, brown sugar, cumin, salt, paprika, garlic powder, ginger and cayenne in a small bowl.
To season chicken: Remove giblets from chicken and trim any excess skin and fat. Loosen the skin over the breast and thigh meat. Sprinkle and pat the dry rub under and over the skin of the chicken. Let stand for at least 10 minutes and up to 30 minutes before grilling.
To grill chicken: Preheat a gas grill to medium or build a two-zone fire (coals on one side of the grill) in a charcoal grill and let it burn down to medium heat (about 400 degrees F).
Hold the chicken upright and fit the opening of the cavity over a vertical grilling rack.
If using a gas grill, turn off part of the grill (leaving 1 to 2 burners lit, depending on your grill). Place the chicken on the grill rack over the unlit part. Close the lid and grill until the chicken is very tender and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh without touching bone registers 165 degrees F, 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours. (If using a charcoal grill, add 10 coals after the first 30 minutes to maintain the heat.) Transfer the chicken to a clean cutting board and let rest for 10 minutes before carving.
Sweet and Spicy Baked Chicken Breasts Recipe
This sweet and spicy baked chicken breast will tickle your taste buds and make you drool! So easy to make and so full of flavor!
This sweet and spicy baked chicken breast is an explosion of flavor! Not just sweet and spicy, but also a bit salty and sour &ndash mmm! The sauce on this amazing chicken is like pure magic! Sometimes I make this sauce separately as a sweet & sour dipping sauce, and it&rsquos truly awesome on baked chicken!
Chicken breast is usually the blandest food ever, but that truly changes when it&rsquos baked with this addictive sweet and spicy sauce! The chicken breast is baked just enough to make it cooked through &ndash make sure you don&rsquot overcook it so it doesn&rsquot turn rubbery. I bake regular sized chicken breasts at 400F for 20 minutes. If you are using small chicken breast, it might be done in 10-15 minutes, check early and if it&rsquos not fully cooked, just return to the oven for another 5 minutes. If you have a package of chicken breasts of uneven thickness, pound them so they are even, otherwise the small ones will cook quicker than big ones. Overbaked chicken = tough chicken, and we surely want to avoid this scenario!
The sweet and spicy sauce is made by simply mixing brown sugar, hot sauce, garlic powder, vinegar, salt, water and red pepper flakes, and bringing the mixture to boil so the sugar dissolves. Put the chicken on a parchment-lined baking sheet, rub with some of that sauce, bake to perfection, then pour the remaining sauce of the chicken. So finger-lickin&rsquo good!
This recipe is so easy, you will make it from start to finish in 30 minutes! You don&rsquot need to brown the chicken first &ndash just slather in sauce, put in the oven and bake. Perfect!
The hot & sweet sauce is very sticky, so don&rsquot skip the parchment paper unless you want to spend the time scrubbing the baking sheet! Parchment paper is non-stick and makes for a super-easy cleanup!
This sweet and spicy baked chicken breast is so good, even people who usually don&rsquot like white meat eat it all up! Of course, you don&rsquot have to use chicken breast, you can make this exact recipe with chicken thighs, drumsticks or wings &ndash it will be just as delicious! Enjoy! I love to serve this chicken with extra sauce over cilantro lime rice.
This warm and spicy Fish Rub is delicious on fish and shrimp as well as stirred into seafood salad. Use it to season marinades or dressings as well.
Mixing up this spice rub takes just minutes. Measure out the different spices in a jar or dish with a lid. Stir well to combine. Cover and store in a cool, dry place.
To use the blend: Brush fish fillets or steaks with cooking oil season heavily with a custom spice blend, and cook in a skillet or on the grill.
As with all spice rubs, you can customize the blend to your own taste.
- Omit the cayenne if you don’t like it spicy.
- Consider more pepper or reduce the salt to suit your palate.
- Add herbs and spices such as dried basil, parsley, marjoram or sage to give the rub a more pronounced green herbal note.
- Lemon, lime or orange zest add a citrus touch.
- Porcini mushroom powder gives the blend an earthy savory umami kick. You can find it upscale grocery stores and online.
- Author: Cathi at scratchandstitch.com
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hours 5 minutes
- Category: Appetizer
- 3 lb chicken drummies
- 2 Tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup plain greek yogurt
- 2 Tablespoon green onion, minced
- 1 Tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon spice mix
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 2 Tablespoon sriracha hot sauce, divided
Prepare the dry-rub
- In a small bowl, combine garlic pwder, onion powder, chili powder, dill, cayenne, salt, pepper. Set aside.
- Place chicken drummies into a zip-loc bag (or large bowl).
- In a medium bowl, add milk, olive oil, 2 Tablespoon sriracha, 1 1/2 Tablespoon dry-rub spice mix. Whisk to combine. Pour over chicken drummies. Toss to coat. Marinate at least five hours (or overnight).
Prepare Spicy Ranch Dip
- In a medium bowl, combine mayo, yogurt, apple cider vinegar, sugar, green onion, parsley, 1 Tablespoon dry-rub spice mix, 1 Tablespoon sriracha. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Prepare chicken drummies
- Preheat oven to 425° F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Drain chicken.
- To a large bowl (or zip-loc bag) add chicken. Slowly add dry-rub spice mix to evenly coat chicken.
- Evenly space chicken drummies on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake 45-55 minutes until thoroughly cooked, flipping once at 35 minutes.
- Serve chicken drummies with spicy ranch dip.
Did you make this recipe?
This spicy dry-rub chicken recipe could also be applied to chicken wings, chicken breast, or a whole chicken.